Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Preschool Blues :(

So oklan started a new preschool by our new house a little over a month ago, and he did great the first month...the last couple days that he has had preschool he has been so sad and just cries and cries :( the first two days the teacher just "dealt" with it but by the third time they had to call me. I went to his preschool and cheered him up a bit so he finished the day, but it was still tough for him. I don't know what to do???? This happened a bit at his last preschool but he over came it. now it is happening again and it just breaks my heart.

It is just weird because when either me or Ty drop him off he is fine. He is happy, he says hi to his teacher, he waves good bye, says I love you..everything. Then I guess about 30 mins into the day the tears start. We have tried EVERYTHING! talking to him about it, today he is taking a picture of him and I so hopefully that works?, the teacher is even considering changing her curriculum for him ( not too much, but still?) I told her that he will get past it and she seems okay, but I just worry about him sometimes. I worry that he is keeping his feelings in about maybe having a hard time about something the class does, or maybe another student? But everytime we ask him he just says different things and says he doesn't know why he cries.
And he isn't really like this anywhere but preschool. Anytime he is with us or any family members or friends he is fine.. at least I think so? It is just preschool that he has a hard time with.

He is like me, we don't usually let things get to us too much and we just brush it off. Then eventually it all gets to us and we have a hard couple of days. I am working on it and I am helping him to not hold things in either, but it is just hard to explain things like that to four year old. And that's another thing, he is so young for his age, he is only four and won't be five till sep. 1st. Where as almost all the other kids are already five or almost five, so he is the youngest or one of the youngest in his class. And this is also making for a harder decision that I thought, on whether or not I should put him in kindergarten next year or hold off for a year. Originally I was planning on putting him in next year, he has always been right on track if not a little ahead academically so I felt in my gut to put him through, but socially he has a hard time sometimes so I just don't know? Ahhhhhh! my poor little guy, he is so tender hearted and tries so hard to be tough but I don't want him to get too overwhelmed ya know? Help???

So if anybody has any advice, and if any of you have struggled with this thing with your child please let me know so I don't feel like I am the only one :)

6 comments:

The Bundy Family said...

That is so sad. Poor little guy. Hayden is really tender hearted too and has a hard time with transition, mostly. After a while I am sure that Okie will be okay. Halle was the same way with school last year. Hang in there. I think it is a great idea to send the picture of him and you together. Hang in there!
Love you so much.
Lisa

Shea said...

It is always hard to start at a new school, meet new friends, new teacher and new way to learn! Also I am sure that the age can make a difference?! I think kids can sometimes be so mean and I am so nervous for my oldest to start kindergarten this year:) My oldest is very tough and makes friends easy, but my second oldest is shy and kids are mean to him. Like I was at the park one day with my boys and a snotty little boy walked up to Jayden (my 2nd oldest) and said,”You have a big nose”! I wanted to beat that brat into the ground, but I of course didn’t. Jayden didn’t even get what just happened and I was thankful. I think what you are doing is great! Letting him know you are there for him! I think this will pass and he will warm up soon. I would ask the teacher if she notices what they are doing about the time your cute little guys starts to cry. If they just come in from a play break, reading, math whatever. Something is hard for him and he doesn’t know how to express it? I am not sure if this helps! This is just what I think. I am sorry about your cutie. Oh my goodness you have a BEAUTIFUL family. Talk to you soon:) LONG POST SORRY

Sly Family said...

I actually did kindergarten twice, because I wasn't ready the first time and I am so glad that my parents held me back another year. So when I got into High School I did every thing first instead of last. Also my little brother (August Baby) and cousin are a week apart and my Aunt decided to put him into school as soon as possible and I know my cousin is struggling and my Aunt now wishes she had given him another year. Where as with my brother he is doing a lot better than my cousin and my mum waited another year before she put him into school. Also my little brother is one smart kid and has been since he was real little. Anyway, this is just food for thought and what you are doing right now for him with the picture is a great idea. In fact I will make sure to remember that idea with my daughter when she gets older.

Summer Jackson said...

No advice from a non-child person...but knowing his darling personality and how friendly he is I am sure it is just a phase and he will be loving it very soon! Love you!

Clint and Shari said...

That breaks my heart~ I hate to see little kids getting sad. Troy went through a year of this. I finally stopped making him go and waiting for him to let me know when he was ready. Who knows if I did the right thing or not, but he likes school now. Good Luck!

Gina said...

Kade goes through phases where he acts like that with the nursery at my gym or the nursery at church. I haven't been able to pinpoint when it happens but he always gets over it in about a week. I just kept reminding Kade how much more fun it is if he is happy and just plays with his friends. I bet that he needs to get used to the kids too. Maybe once he makes some friends he'll be better. I know it is so sad though. Especially since he is so old it's like, you know that something is wrong. You just don't know what. Kids their age typicaly don't just cry to cry. There is usually a reason. Good luck. I worry about Kade starting prescool in August but hopefully he'll adjust ok.